Gas and Vapours (Ex01 – Ex04)
Competency certification for working with gas and vapours in potentially explosive atmospheres.
The CompEx Ex01-Ex04 Gas and Vapours qualification has been developed for electrical and instrument operatives working in hazardous locations where gases or vapours can form explosive atmospheres.
This qualification is suitable for practicing electrical or instrument operatives who are involved in installing, inspecting and maintaining certified Ex electrical equipment in locations where gases and vapours can potentially create a hazardous area.
- Practicing competent electrical operatives
- Practicing competent instrument operative
- Electrical/instrument engineers with previous practical experience
- Prior CompEx certification supported by employer sponsored letter.
Approximately 5 days, however; some international centres offer a 6-day course to further support candidates where English is not their first language.
The 5-day course includes:
- 3 days of guided learning (theoretical 15-20 hours, practical 4-6 hours)
- 2 days of assessment
This course has been developed in consultation with industry to ensure the core competence of existing and potential workers who operate in these environments.
The qualification consists of four units, which cover the minimum requirements for safe working practices in hazardous locations.
Candidates will learn about the safety considerations that should be applied to work areas that contain potentially explosive or flammable atmospheres and the factors that are used to classify their location.
The course includes instruction on how to read hazardous area certification, labelling and documentation, and also informs candidates about the main protection concepts, categories and levels that are applied to certified Ex electrical equipment.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the knowledge and skills to meet the requirements highlighted in the IEC 60079 series of standards and the relevant national standards and directives. This qualification focuses on the minimum specifications identified in IEC60079:0, IEC60079:10.1, IEC60079:14 and IEC60079:17.
Key learning objectives
Candidates that successfully complete the Ex01-Ex04 qualification will be able to:
- Identify the correct national regulations, directives and IEC standards which are applicable to hazardous locations.
- Identify the correct criteria and descriptors used to classify a hazardous location.
- Recognise the correct characteristics of common hazardous gases and vapours discussed during the course.
- Demonstrate an underpinning knowledge of how certified Ex electrical equipment including Ex ‘d’, ‘e’, ‘n’, ‘p’, ‘m’, ‘o’, ‘q’, ‘s’, Intrinsic Safety (IS) maintains its protection concept and how it is to be selected, installed, inspected and maintained.
- Identify the correct test value readings for IS and non-IS installations and equipment.
Candidates who are successful in both the theory and practical assessments will receive a CompEx Certificate in Core Competence. For more details about the content of this qualification and information on the learning objectives please download the Ex01-Ex04 qualification document.
Assessment is undertaken using both practical assessments and an online examination that covers the four separate CompEx units.
Candidates must undertake a multiple-choice online examination that consists of 60 questions answered over 1.5 hours.
Candidates are required to undertake four practical assessments (one per unit):
- Ex01 – 3 hours 45 minutes
- Ex02 – 1 hour 30 minutes
- Ex03 – 3 hours
- Ex04 – 1 hour 15 minutes
Find a centre
Find your nearest licensed CompEx centre and get full contact details using our simple map facility.
Achieving CompEx core competency is essential for practitioners who work in potentially explosive environments, but competency must be maintained following certification.