Recognised Practitioners Programme
Renew your certification with the Recognised Practitioners Programme
Recognised Practitioners Programme (Ex01RPP – Ex04RPP)
Renamed the Recognised Practitioners Programme, this tailored recertification course has been developed for experienced electrical and instrument technicians who regularly operate in hazardous areas (locations) and want to recertify their competence under the CompEx Scheme.
Download the qualification leaflet here.
Choose the right course for your experience
All CompEx certified practitioners are required to recertify every 5 years. There are two routes for recertification for Gas and Vapours (Ex01 – Ex04).
- Recognised Practitioners Programme (Ex01RPP – Ex04RPP) Shorter refresher course
- Gas and Vapours (Ex01 – Ex04) Full five-day course
The RPP replaces the previous CompEx Refresher module. Employers and practitioners should consider knowledge, skills and recent experience when deciding which course to attend for recertification.
Some practitioners may regularly work in hazardous areas (locations), but for others this may be infrequent, or something that they have not done for several years. Practitioners that have previously successfully completed the full five-day core practitioner course, Gas and Vapours (Ex01 – Ex04), and regularly work in hazardous areas can recertify using the Recognised Practitioners Programme (1).
However, it may be more appropriate for practitioners that have previously completed the five-day practitioner course, Gas and Vapours (Ex01 – Ex04) but do not regularly work in hazardous areas to attend the full five-day course (2) again. This provides learners with more classroom time ahead of practical assessments and theory examinations.
Please note: CompEx certificates are valid for a maximum of 5 years from the date of issue and must be refreshed before the expiry date on the certificate. Failure to refresh before the expiry date will result in having to take the full qualification (Ex01 – Ex04) assessment again.
The RPP is suitable for practicing electrical or instrument technicians who are involved in installing, inspecting, and maintaining certified Ex electrical equipment in locations where gases and vapours can potentially create a hazardous area.
- Valid, in-date CompEx certificate for Ex01-Ex04
- Practicing competent electrical technicians
- Practicing competent instrument technicians
- Electrical/instrument engineers with previous practical experience
2/3 days (dependent on preferred Approved Training Provider)
The 2/3-day course includes:
- 1-2 days of guided learning (theoretical approx. 7-14 hours, practical 1-2 hours)
- 1-day of assessment
The Recognised Practitioners Programme has been developed in consultation with industry to ensure the core competence of existing workers who operate in these environments.
The RPP consists of four units, which cover the minimum requirements for safe working practices in hazardous areas. Candidates will cover the safety considerations that should be applied to work areas that contain potentially explosive or flammable atmospheres and the factors that are used to classify their location.
The course refreshes and updates candidate knowledge on how to read hazardous area certification, labelling and documentation, and the main protection concepts, categories and levels that are applied to certified Ex electrical equipment.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the knowledge and skills to meet the requirements highlighted in the IEC 60079 series of standards and the relevant national standards and directives. This qualification focuses on the minimum specifications identified in IEC 60079:0, IEC 60079:10.1, IEC 60079:14 and IEC 60079:17.
Key learning objectives
Candidates that successfully complete the RPP will:
- Know the correct national regulations, directives and IEC standards which are applicable to hazardous areas.
- Know the correct criteria and descriptors used to classify a hazardous area.
- Recognise the correct characteristics of common hazardous gases and vapours discussed in the course.
- Demonstrate an underpinning knowledge of how certified Ex electrical equipment including Ex ‘d’, ‘e’, ‘n’, ‘p’, ‘m’, ‘o’, ‘q’, ‘s’, and Intrinsic Safety (IS) maintains its protection concept, and how it is to be selected, installed, inspected, and maintained.
Successful candidates will receive an internationally recognised CompEx Certificate in Core Competence, valid for a further 5 years.
Assessment is undertaken using both practical assessment and online examination which covers the four separate CompEx units.
Candidates must undertake an online examination which is split into two parts.
- Ex01RPP/Ex03RPP Installation (equipment, cable gland and accessories selection) – 1 hour 10 minutes
- Ex01RPP- Ex04RPP Theory examination – 30 minutes
Candidates are required to undertake three practical assessments.
- Ex01RPP Cable glanding and termination – 1 hour 15 minutes
- Ex02RPP Non-IS inspection – 1 hour 30 minutes
- Ex04RPP IS inspection – 1 hour 15 minutes
Find a centre
Find your nearest licensed CompEx centre and get full contact details using our simple map facility.
Achieving CompEx core competency is essential for practitioners who work in potentially explosive environments, but competency must be maintained following certification.